Skip to content

In defense of stemless wine glasses

(From left to right: Spiegelau vinovino Chardonnay wine glass, Riedel O Chardonnay wine tumbler, Bodum So Long Stemless red wine glass, Crate & Barrel wine tumbler)

I was rummaging through my kitchen display cabinet today and noticed that I have more stemless wine glasses than traditional ones — eight Riedel O Chardonnay, six Riedel O Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo, and three traditional generic wine glasses with stems. (Yes, three; I don’t know what happened to the fourth.) This is how it happened: we’d received a bunch of thick-walled goblets for our wedding a few years ago, but I was young and naive then and it wasn’t until I’d begun drinking wine in earnest about a year later that I realized the thickness was interfering with my ability to properly taste the wine. We’re talking really thick — around half an inch or so. They were also comically huge and kind of looked like pimp cups. I started phasing out the chunky goblets in favor of the Riedels for a couple of reasons — I like their simple, modern design and they’re a lot more difficult for our guests to knock over.

There are other advantages to the squat tumblers. They’re dishwasher-safe, there’s no stem to accidentally break whether you’re handwashing or not, and they’re much easier to store. I’ve heard many people complain that the worst thing about wine tumblers is that since they’re stemless, you have no choice but to hold the bowl in your hand, inevitably warming up the wine. But there’s a really easy solution — hold the glass just below the halfway point. Nobody fills the glass to that level, anyway.

I do love the beauty and elegance of traditional stemmed wine glasses — they’re definitely de rigueur for more formal occasions, but the tumblers fit my lifestyle better. We do a lot of casual entertaining, I’ll sit in front of the TV with a glass of wine, so the stemless glasses are more practical. And since we’re mentioning tradition, Italians still use those sturdy juice-glass-looking tumblers for their everyday wine enjoyment, and people don’t usually accuse them of being unsophisticated louts.

I draw the line at stemless champagne flutes, though. They just look downright silly.

wasabigelatine wants to know: Do you prefer stemmed or stemless wine glasses?

21 Comments

1. Cat wrote:

I like the juice-glass-tumblers Italians use for everyday wine drinking, personally.

So I guess “HOLD THE GLASS BY THE STEM!” referred only to glasses that have a stem, and wasn’t a vote in the stem/less debate. Good to know. :)

When it comes to beer, one might do well to give opposite advice. If the beer is served too cold, as Americans are wont to do, I think one of the best ways to raise the beer to an acceptable temp is by holding the glass in your hand.

Of course different beers should be served at different temperatures, but if a beer has to be ice cold to taste tolerable, it doesn’t actually taste good. ;)

Thursday, October 11, 2007 at 11:02 am | Permalink
  2. Good beer advice! And speaking of intolerable beers, have you seen the new Budweiser slogan — “the great American lager”? Uhh, there’s no way you can class up Bud. Well, maybe if you put it next to a Mad Dog 20/20. :P

Friday, October 12, 2007 at 1:01 am | Permalink
  3. Budget Babe wrote:

For everyday, I also prefer the stemless glasses–so thanks for the validation! I like to have a glass handy while I’m cooking, so I’ll sip and put the glass down, hence less likely to tip it over or warm it up. I noticed wine and beer were often served in small stemless glasses at various cafes and bodegas throughout Spain, too (una copa as they’re called).

Friday, October 12, 2007 at 8:19 am | Permalink
  4. Cat wrote:

*LOL* I think Bud would win a flavor comparison, but only because Bud has less flavor to offend with ;)

By the way, different beer styles are suited to different glassware, so it’s ideal to match them as best you can, especially when serving a quality beer.

To what extent do you think this is true for wine?

Friday, October 12, 2007 at 2:34 pm | Permalink
  5. BB — ooh, what part of Spain were you in?

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 10:16 am | Permalink
  6. Cat – the same is true for wine, but I’ve never had the chance to experience the differences myself. Apparently, the extent of the flavor enhancement using the proper glass shape is more evident with higher-quality wines. I use the chardonnay glasses for any type of wine, and the pinot noir ones when I’m drinking the same (and honestly, mostly because I like the shape and size of the glass). One of these days I’ll have to test this theory, though I don’t know what wines would be considered high-quality enough for me to notice a difference (if I could afford them), or even if my palate is good enough to detect any remarkable distinctions.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 10:55 am | Permalink
  7. I have read so many posts on the topic of the blogger lovers except
    this article is actually a good piece of writing, keep it up.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 9:21 am | Permalink
  8. spam link wrote:

Many of the effected trucks can also exhibit a noticeable knock at idle.
    - Product Name : GE TPS MVME 162 SINGLE BD CONTROLLER. That may be perfect to help with the scenario of your car.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 3:08 pm | Permalink
  9. MUSIC wrote:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site.
    You have some really good articles and I feel I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some material for your
    blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an e-mail if interested.
    Regards!

Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 2:59 am | Permalink
  10. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites
    I stumbleupon everyday. It will always be useful
    to read content from other authors and practice something from their
    web sites.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 1:15 pm | Permalink
  11. If you would like to grow your familiarity just keep visiting this web page and be updated with the hottest news update posted here.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 6:06 pm | Permalink
  12. Very good article. I absolutely appreciate this site.
    Continue the good work!

Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 9:29 am | Permalink
  13. Solar pool covers and reels for above ground pools are
    necessary pieces of equipment for people who just love above ground swimming pools
    who want to extend their swimming season while saving money.
    Mark the water amount of the pool on the outside of the
    bucket or elsewhere. This kind of liner will be fitted inside the swimming
    pool using a surefire fitting technique that sees the liner loosely
    laid out inside pool before it’s gradually filled up
    with water and pulled towards the pool-walls by using a special vacuum.

Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 6:16 am | Permalink
  14. If you have a pool and also you allowed it to go on without getting chlorinated for a while, the lake will turn to a greenish hue.
    Rather, they will use electricity to catch heat and shift
    it from one location to another. There are no moving parts inside the
    device itself, which makes it a very robust product.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 9:33 am | Permalink
  15. Winter covers never allow sunlight in to the pool, which will help maintain it balanced.
    You should test out your pool at the very least twice a week and every single time prior to deciding to add more chemicals.
    The best thing to perform in case your pool
    water’s calcium hardness is a lot too much because of its required level is usually to replace the pool water with clean water or by
    adding a particular product developed to maintain your calcium
    from depositing out.

Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 8:32 am | Permalink
  16. Many solar heaters are installed in a control system
    which utilizes either temperature or the time of day to make don and doff the heater.
    You must clean the debris in the water, maintain your water
    level where it belongs and test the water for proper chemical levels.

This is a strong combination of chemicals including chlorine that’s built to
    quickly stop algae growth immediately.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 9:48 am | Permalink
  17. Cat Fables wrote:

Hi there all, here every one is sharing these familiarity, thus it’s good to read this
    web site, and I used to go to see this website all the time.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:17 am | Permalink
  18. Butt if youu already have probably the most coveted components of paper up to you during this certain situation, all you could should ddo is enter the venue aand
    possess an exilerating game to watch. We discovered that tthe Intex Seahawk 400 waas very difficult to maneuver should there be a lot of wind.

So, a little advice, buy Seahawks tickets earlier to prevent the long line and discover the action from will finish.

Monday, November 6, 2017 at 12:56 am | Permalink
  19. Thanks for posting this article. I’m a long time
    reader but never been compelled
    to leave a comment. I subscribed to your blog and shared it on Facebook.

Thanks again for the great post

Friday, December 15, 2017 at 6:47 am | Permalink
  20. This year’s preseason games in the National Football League
    given much excitement to every sports enthusiast.

Not all of their games are ket iin Qwest Field, Seattle Washington or within the state where you stand based
    righht now. A local sennior high school, the Peninsula Higgh School, subnitted the name Seahawks.

Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 3:55 am | Permalink
  21. Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the
    net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to
    you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they
    just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well
    as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects
    , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.

Thanks

Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 9:29 am | Permalink

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Basic Of Acrylic Wine Glasses | Entertaining Tonight on Sunday, June 28, 2009 at 5:46 pm

[...] wasabigelatine › In defense of stemless wine glasses [...]

2. Cara meningkatkan kualitas sperma on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 5:26 am

Cara meningkatkan kualitas sperma…

wasabigelatine › In defense of stemless wine glasses…